Monday, 14 August 2006

Quiet........

Went for a pre-work stroll down to the paddocks along Stratford Road this morning (this is a track that forms the southernmost perimeter of the reserve). I live in hope of a whinchat at this time of year, parking itself nicely atop a bramble, so I can then clamber over the reserve wall and claim it as a Lodge tick.

A similar thing happened last September with a stonechat in exactly this spot. The sight of Katie and I leaning back within the reserve whilst viewing the bird must have seemed comical to anyone who was watching.

But then, no-one goes birding at The Lodge, do they?

This morning, I had only a rain shower and a blackberry-faced blackcap and common whitethroat for company as they gorged themselves in preparation for the journey south.

I went out again at lunchtime, a few swifts; my first (Lodge) lesser black-backed gull of the autumn but precious little else.

At least it didn't rain.

Why do I do it? Because I love The Lodge- it may be birdless for large parts of the year, but it is a relaxing and therapeutic place to stroll around.

One day, the biggy will drop.......

Just hope I have credit on my mobile.......

No comments: